Governor Cuomo Breaks Ground on Expansion
image_pdfimage_print

On March 1, Governor Andrew M. Cuomo broke ground on the Jacob K. Javits Convention Center expansion in Manhattan’s West Side. Following work that began on the building’s foundation in December 2016, this groundbreaking signified the start of construction on the first phase of the $1.5 billion expansion project. Workers have begun to raise steel beams for the transformer building, which will provide power to the new Javits Center expansion. This early start will enable LendLease Turner, the construction consortium that was awarded the design-build contract last month, to jump-start work on the expansion.

 The expanded Javits Center is expected to generate $393 million in new annual economic activity, reduce area traffic congestion and increase the efficiency of operations to allow for new and expanded events. The project is also expected to create 3,100 construction jobs, and an additional 4,000 full-time and 2,000 part-time jobs once the expansion is completed in 2021.  

“This is no longer a promise or a proposal – we have now broken ground on expanding one of this region’s greatest economic assets, proving yet again that government can get things done,” Governor Cuomo said. “This is the new New York – meeting deadlines, fulfilling promises and supporting transformative projects that provide economic opportunity for businesses of all sizes and New Yorkers of all backgrounds. The Javits Center expansion is creating thousands of construction jobs and supporting the growth of New York’s hotel, restaurant and tourism industries for decades to come.”

 The groundbreaking was made possible by the completion of the convention center's foundation and utility work, which included drilling six giant caissons to support the construction of a three-story building that will house transformers, back-up generators and other electrical equipment required to power the expanded convention center. 

 “The Javits Center is the busiest convention center in the United States, and this expansion project will ensure we remain the busiest in the decades to come,” said New York Convention Center Operating Corporation President and CEO Alan Steel. “Thanks to Governor Cuomo, the New York Convention Center Development Corporation and Empire State Development, we are thrilled that early construction work has begun, and we look forward to utilizing the new spaces to attract even more of the country’s leading trade shows, conventions and special events.”

 The project includes the following major components:

·      An on-site truck marshaling facility that can hold a minimum of 229 trucks that haul exhibit materials to and from the Javits Center;

·      90,000 square feet of permanent exhibit space, to be combined with the existing exhibit space, to create an approximately 500,000-square-foot exhibition hall;

·      45,000 square feet of state-of-the-art meeting room space;

·      55,000 square-foot ballroom, the largest of its kind in the New York region;

 ·      Green roof terrace and pavilion accommodating 1,500 people for outdoor events;

 ·      27 new loading docks;

 ·      New kitchen and food service areas;

 ·      Back-of-House and administrative space; and

·       LEED Silver certification.

Facebook
Google+
http://market.javitscenter.com/governor-cuomo-breaks-ground-on-expansion
Twitter
LinkedIn