RFPs to Start Early Expansion Work
Earlier this month, Governor Andrew M. Cuomo announced a Request for Proposal process for construction work to ready the site of the Javits Center's major expansion on Manhattan's West Side. The RFPs, which kick off utility and related work, involve the construction of a new three-story building that will house transformers, back-up generators, and other electrical equipment. Contracts will be awarded in the fourth quarter of 2016, with work beginning shortly thereafter in 2016. The Design-Build procurement for the broader construction project is already underway with a winner expected to be approved in early 2017.
"The Javits Center is one of the Empire State's most powerful economic engines and these actions move forward our ambitious plan to revitalize this world-renowned facility," Governor Cuomo said. "Tourism is a key element in New York's economy and with this revitalization, we will ensure the Javits Center will remain competitive with other convention centers and continue to attract top-flight shows and conferences for years to come.”
"The expansion project will solidify the Javits Center's place as one of the most desired convention centers in the country, and this early construction work is a major step toward reaching that goal. Events hosted at the Javits Center generate nearly two billion dollars in annual economic activity, and thanks to Governor's Cuomo vision, this expansion will increase that activity in the years ahead,” said New York Convention Center Operating Corporation President and CEO Alan Steel.
Construction work on the transformer yard will ready the site for the larger expansion project. The RFPs released so far cover structural steel and metal deck work, caisson and foundation work, demolition services, utility relocation, and hoist and sidewalk bridging, all in connection with construction of a transformer building. This work will be funded through bond proceeds. The RFPs strongly encourage firms that are certified by New York State as minority-and women-owned business enterprises or service-disabled veteran-owned businesses, as well as firms that are not yet certified, but have applied for certification, to submit responses. Responses are due in early October.
In June, the New York Convention Center Development Corporation, which owns the Javits Center, released an RFP for the broader expansion project to pre-qualified Design-Build teams that will compete for a contract to complete the expansion project. Their responses are due back to Empire State Development on October 31, 2016. The project includes the following major components:
- A four-level, on-site truck marshaling facility, including 27 new loading docks;
- New prime exhibit space, to be combined with the existing exhibit space, to create an approximately 500,000-square-foot exhibition hall;
- New state-of-the-art meeting room and ballroom space;
- Roof terrace and pavilion accommodating 1,500 people for outdoor events, including an expanded green room area;
- New kitchen and food service areas;
- Back-of-House and administrative space; and
- LEED Silver certification.
The Design Build project will be funded through a combination of State appropriation, bond issuance proceeds, funds available on hand, and other sources as needed. Ultimately, the Governor’s proposal will strengthen the regional economy, create more permanent jobs, and increase tourism and business involved with the Javits Center. Specifically, it is projected to:
- Create 4,000 full-time jobs, 2,000 part-time jobs and 3,100 construction jobs;
- Generate $393 million in new economic activity a year, a 22 percent increase to the $1.8 billion of activity generated in 2014; and
- Generate 200,000 additional hotel room nights a year, a 42 percent increase in the number of room nights booked by event guests.