With more than two million visitors, more than 170 events and nearly 40,000 exhibitors a year, the Javits Center is a 24/7 building that requires consistent maintenance and improvements in order to meet – and exceed – the customer’s expectations. That’s why in December, during the holiday season, our maintenance crews will be launching new construction projects throughout the campus in order to upgrade our infrastructure for the coming new year. In total, our staff will be starting 11 projects – from new elevator control equipment to new heating units. Here are some of the highlights:
- Show Manager’s Suites. We will be renovating the restrooms and pantries in the show manager’s suites on Level 4. This work will include the installation of new flooring, countertops, cabinets, sinks, toilets and pantry fixtures. This work begins on December 15, 2017 and is expected to conclude on January 2, 2018.
- Loading Dock Air Curtains. We will be replacing 22 suspended fan-forced heating units in the various overhead doors on Levels 1 and 3. The new heating units will provide better heating in the show halls. This work is expected to be completed by January 1, 2018.
- Labor Hall Reconfiguration. This project will include the renovation of the old Labor Hall space into new office space for our Public Safety Officers. From here, our security team will oversee logistics related to the drivers’ check-in area. This work has begun, and the project is expected to be completed by December 22, 2017.
- New Lighting. In order to improve illumination and energy savings, we are installing 140 new LED kitchen-rated light fixtures inside the main kitchen operated by Centerplate on Level 1. Replacement work is scheduled to be completed by January 2018.
- Elevator Enhancement. We are upgrading the elevator controllers for Cars #3 (1B/3B Halls) and #5 (Special Events Hall) in order to better manage the speed, position and door operation of each elevator. In Car #3, we also are replacing the hydraulic piston, which lifts the elevator cab for a smooth, more comfortable ride. Work will begin on December 15, 2017, and this project is expected to be completed by January 13, 2018. Elevators will be out of service during this time.